Tuesday 22 July 2014

WOODWARE - Mixed Media - Summer or Body Beautiful

This week's challenge at Woodware is an interesting one ....mixed media. This an area I would love to do more on. There are some amazing mixed media artist out there and I always feel my efforts are so mediocre that I rarely show anything I have tried. But as I had t o come up with something this week I have used paints, inks, stamps and stencils to make a canvas panel.
I started by covering the my narrow canvas with acrylic paints. I used some soft blues and greens and put a few spots onto a paper plate and spritzed with water. Then I applied them with my fingers remembering to cover the edges as well. Then I used a piece of burlap and a text stamp to create a bit of texture.
As the theme I chose was summer I pulled out a selection of oriental stencils (all Dreamweaver). I used parts of them with ink pads to create my little Japanese garden scene.


Oriental Summer Garden 

The sentiment is from Stampendous. I also stamped the sides of the canvas with a scroll stamp.
The edges are finished off with gold. For this I mixed some gold Pearl-ex powder with a little water to make a paste. I applied this with my finger along all the edges. It helps frame the piece and gives a lovely shimmer.
I also made up a spray with interference gold Pearl-ex and sprayed the whole panel lightly. Sadly you don't see the lovely soft shimmer in the photographs.

























The die cut dragonfly also had interference Pearl-ex applied to the wings.


This photo is just to show the stamping done on the sides of the canvas panel.
So that's my attempt at a mixed media piece. I am so looking forward to seeing what the other girls come up with this week. Visit the Woodware blog to see them all.
I hope you are all enjoying the fine weather this week. It's too nice to be at work!!
Siobhan x

2 comments:

  1. I really admire your attention to detail, Ilove the way that you have stamped the edge of the canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a beautiful canvas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate them.
Siobhan x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...